First-Year Student Checklist
Wondering what you need to do during New Student Orientation (NSO) and your transition to MSU? Check your progress! The NSO experience is organized into a series of five checkpoints, which will be completed in the following order:
- Checkpoint 1: Getting started – All new undergraduate students will complete the following items to start their NSO experience: filling out the Access & Technology survey, the Math Placement Assessment, the Writing Self-Directed Placement Assessment, and the Language Placement Assessments. Note: Fall 2024 students are highly encouraged to complete the necessary course assessments and survey tools before academic advising and course enrollment occur in June and July, 2024. Spring 2024 students are highly encouraged to complete these items starting in late October 2023 before advising and enrollment occurs in January, 2024.
- Checkpoint 2: Complete the NSO D2L Experience Course – All new students are required to complete our virtual New Student Orientation Desire2Learn (D2L) experience course. This interactive online module course will help students learn more about MSU while identifying key resources prior to the beginning of the semester. Note: Fall 2024 students will gain access to the online NSO D2L experience course in May, 2024. Spring 2024 students will gain access to the online NSO D2L experience course in November, 2023. All new students are required to complete all NSO D2L course content by the specific deadline or risk their admission being revoked.
- Checkpoint 3: Advising & Enrollment – After fully completing the NSO D2L experience course, students will be referred to connect with a College/advisor to schedule an academic advising appointment and discuss the process of course enrollment. During the appointment, the College/advisor will communicate with you regarding steps to enroll in the first semester classes and help prepare you for the upcoming semester. Students must complete their NSO D2L course before gaining access to a College/advisor. Note: Fall 2024 students will have access to advising and enrollment experiences beginning in June, 2024. Spring 2024 students will have access to advising and enrollment in January, 2024, right before the semester begins. Please be patient as you wait to hear from your College/advisor after completion of the NSO D2L experience course. Be sure to check your MSU email often (both inbox and junk folders) for important information directly from your College/advisor about your specific advising and enrollment process.
- Checkpoint 4: NSO Engagement Opportunities – NSO has created a series of informative virtual podcasts and will be hosting student-run help sessions/office hours to assist students as they transition to MSU. These virtual engagement opportunities will allow students to connect with various MSU campus partners to learn more about important academic and social resources across campus. Students, families, and supporters will receive communication from NSO via bi-weekly e-newsletters, which will provide more information about podcast topics, help room/open office times, general next steps, and important NSO/MSU deadlines as the semester approaches.
- Checkpoint 5: In-Person MSU NSO Welcome programming – All new students are invited to participate in an optional in-person Orientation program following student move-in. The NSO Welcome experience is designed to help support students as they transition into the MSU community, and will incorporate various activities and introductions to campus partners leading up to the beginning of the semester. Helpful information will continue to be shared about MSU billing and payment, residential engagement, and other important resources and dates as students transition into the MSU community, so please continue to monitor all MSU communications and respond as necessary. Note: Fall 2024 students can expect NSO/MSU Welcome experiences to occur between Move-In Day(s) and the beginning of the semester (and beyond). Spring 2024 students can expect in-person programming to occur the first week of January leading up to classes beginning on January 8, 2024. Specific dates and times will be shared via NSO bi-weekly newsletters.