International Student Checklist
Wondering what you need to do during New Student Orientation (NSO) and your transition to MSU? Check your progress!
The NSO experience is organized into a series of five checkpoints, which will be completed in the following order:
- Getting started – complete the following Orientation checklist items: the Math Placement Assessment, the Access & Technology survey, Writing Self-Directed Placement Assessment, Language Placement Assessments, and any additional forms or surveys that you may receive from various departments across campus. View the ‘preparing for new student orientation’ checklists below for a more detailed look at the pre-Orientation content. Note: Students are highly encouraged to complete the necessary course assessments and survey tools before academic advising and course enrollment occurs.
- Complete the ‘Summer 2023 NSO’ D2L Experience Course – students will gain access to our Desire2Learn (D2L) course content starting on May 5, 2023. This interactive online module will help students learn more about MSU while identifying key resources prior to the beginning of classes. Students are required to complete all D2L course content by the extended deadline of June 14, 2023 or risk their admission being revoked. Note: International students will also complete a D2L course shared by the Office of International Student Success (OISS). If you have questions about the OISS D2L course content, please contact their office directly.
- Advising & Enrollment – after completing the NSO course module via D2L, students will be referred to connect with an advisor by appointment for academic advising and course enrollment. During the appointment, the advisor will communicate with you regarding steps to enroll in first semester classes. Appointments will occur between June 5 and July 21. Advisors – not the NSO office – will community steps to prepare for your appointment. Be sure to check your MSU email often for important information from your advisor. NOTE: Students must complete the ‘Summer 2023 NSO’ D2L course before gaining access to an advisor for advising and enrollment.
- NSO Engagement Opportunities – NSO will be creating virtual podcasts and hosting student-run help room sessions via Zoom, which will be made available throughout June and July. These virtual opportunities will allow you to connect with current MSU students and various campus partners to learn more about important academic and social resources across campus. Students, families, and supporters will continue to receive communication from NSO via bi-weekly email newsletters, which will provide more information about podcast topics and help room dates and times, general next steps, and important deadlines as the semester approaches.
- In-Person MSU ‘Week of Welcome’ Program – all new students are invited to participate in an in-person Orientation program following first-year and transfer move-in date(s). The experience is designed to help support students as they transition into the MSU community, and will incorporate various activities and campus partners leading up to classes beginning on Monday, August 28, 2023. Helpful information will continue to be shared about MSU billing and payment, residential engagement, and other important resources and dates as students transition into the MSU community. Please continue to monitor all MSU communications and respond as necessary.